Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Good Times in Colorado

We are having a great time in Colorado! Here's an update:

We arrived Sunday afternoon and our fabulous friends, the Browns, barbequed hamburgers and corn on the cob for our culinary delight. Then we made smores out back over their really cool firepit. We stayed up late, but it was so fun!

Monday morning, we took the kids (who are all getting along great, by the way), down to the neighborhood pool. While Olivia worked out, the other kids got to play. It was a lot of fun, and we had the entire pool (25 yards by about 15 yards) all to ourselves.

Then it was back home to have some lunch, climb some trees, play video games, chase the cats, play with the dog, enjoy the cooler weather, etc.

After lunch, Angela, Olivia and I left for Colorado Springs. We picked Olivia's coach, Lorette, up at the airport and after a fight with Mini (who happens to be a GPS unit), we finally arrived at the Olympic Training Center (OTC). We checked Olivia in, and got to wander around the athlete areas for a bit. We felt a little snobby about this, because those areas are closed to the public. How cool are we? Then we left Olivia with her roommate, Leilah (from California), and walked out the door. It was weird. It felt like leaving her at college, but she's only 11! Strange.

After we dropped Lorette off at her hotel, Ang and I went out to dinner, then shopping at the mall. We had so much fun! I can't remember the last time I giggled so much! Finally, around 9:00 that night, we decided to show up at home again. I got a big hug from Sam, a nod from Dan and pretty much ignored from Julia because she was busy tormenting a cat.

Tuesday, we went to the Downtown Aquarium, spent a lot of money and had a lot of fun. The kids continued to get along (for the most part). We roasted Starbursts that night over the fire (try it sometime, it's yummy!) Olivia had a good first day of trials. She had figure competition and did well, and passed the splits test.

Today we are going to the beach. Dan had to remind Seth that Colorado is land locked, so how are we going to a beach? But, apparently there is a reservoir that is not far away with a cool beach. So off we go. Olivia has more trial stuff today, and tomorrow we will go and watch the final stuff and be there for the announcement of the National Team. Keep your fingers crossed.

I miss my bed (actually, I just miss not sleeping with Sam or Julia), but I'm not sure I'm ready to come home to the heat! But, I'll sacrifice, just so my kids can go to school. Yay! School starts on Monday!!!

5 comments:

Yvette said...

Glad everyone is having so much fun! Yeah dont hurry to come home to fast, because yeah its hot. Good Luck to Olivia!

Yvette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie K said...

Good luck! It sounds like an awesome trip.

Kaylee said...

way to go Olivia!! and glad that the rest of you are having fun too.

Allison Tran said...

Go, B!!! We are cheering for you! DO great, and I hope the rest of you have fun at the beach and doing those tourist-y things!